Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Frozen Custard and Front Yards

Last night we went for a family walk over to the new frozen custard place by our house. After we got our treats, we walked back home and ate them on our front lawn. Chloe scarfed hers down like it was going out of style, Ewan gave himself a chocolate goatee, and Liselle and I sat and laughed at the kids as they ran around looking for 'clues'. As I sat there enjoying the evening, I couldn't help but think about how short this time with them will be. I just had the thought come to my mind that I really need to relish these times, and make sure to take it all in while I have the chance. Can't they stay little forever? I know they will grow up to do amazing things in this life, and I'm glad I'll get to see those things happen as well. There was just something about their innocence and happiness with small things that made me feel bad for stressing or worrying about dumb things.

I hope to get more of that perspective with things I deal with daily. I want to find the awe in just looking up at an airplane flying overhead. I want to be excited to see the moon at night. I want to run in the grass barefoot for hours. I want to drive my hot wheels through an imaginary city on the living room floor. All these things, seemingly little things, bring such joy and fulfillment to my kids. I love them too, but need to be much better at taking the time to get involved with it more. Just thought I'd let you know so that my neighbors wont thing I'm crazy for getting out my toys and playing with them more often. :D