Monday, July 19, 2010

Dreams

Do you ever have those times when you wake up from a deep sleep and know you were having an important dream, but cannot remember what was going on? That has happened to me the last couple of nights. I wake up, know that a certain person was in it, and that it would be helpful in real life, but I cannot remember any of the details. I hate that. Some people don't take a lot of stock in dreams, but I personally do. I have a couple of dream books, and they have helped me quite a few times to discover some of the deeper meanings of dream symbols. I kinda look at dreams the way Joseph did in the Old Testament. Yes, some are just crazy, but I feel that we can learn many things from them. Some things deal with day to day life, but others can be lessons from above.

I have had several "spiritual" dreams in my lifetime. Many have come at times when I just needed that little nudge. At other times they have been in answer to prayer, and even out of the blue, when I wasn't looking for guidance. On my mission I had a series of what I like to call "Gordon B. Hinkley Dreams". President Hinkley is one of my heroes. During my service as a missionary in Scotland I had several dreams where I would sit and visit with him. Pretty cool just on its own, but there was something extra with these dreams. When we would sit for our next visit, we would review what we had previously talked about. It was almost like he was training me. Had he been dead at the time, I might have freaked out a bit, but alas, he was alive and well, and I loved our 'visits'.

There have been occasions where I have heard a voice and then woke up. I never thought about adding the Samuel response to those moments "speak Lord, for thy servant heareth." I can only imagine what could have followed... Other times I have had words spoken to me. I've heard them as clearly as if someone were standing in the room talking to me. Revelation comes in many many forms, and I feel that we can definitely receive instruction from our Heavenly Father in our sleep. Throughout the ages, prophets have received guidance through dreams. I'm not putting myself on that plane, so don't get any ideas. I just know that I have received instruction and the Spirit in my dreams.

So whether you are being chased by a giant gummy bear with a harpoon gun, or sitting face to face with a spiritual guru, pay attention. There are things you can learn from them. If you need help figuring out meanings, I'll put on my coat of many colors and try to help you out. :D

1 comment:

Agenda21Truth said...

My 2 Cents: You don't need to be a "prophet" to have God speak to you. You just need to follow His example, have faith in Him and then do what He asks you to do. Acting on His communication is key. I have seen many a humble man, (not associated with any church) listen and then act with simple faith and then leave the rest up to Him and watch what He can do. Miraculous! Don't sell yourself short! And, Dream Big!