Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Early Mornings

So today I started working out again. It's been about three months since the last time. Sure, I've played football and what not since then, but haven't dedicated any time to specifically work out.

Let me premise this by saying that I hate waking up early in the morning. The only time I do it with little trouble is when I have an early morning Church meeting. For some crazy reason, all other occasions are tough for me to get up and ready. This morning began at 5:30. I felt like crying when the alarm went off. Forget the fact that I was out late practicing with Anthony for our first Christmas show, and that Ewan decided to crawl into bed with us somewhere around 3 or 4. I know the old saying "early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise". Well, now you all know why I am miles away from being healthy, wealthy, or wise.

So I rolled myself out of bed, got into my workout clothes and warm sweats, and waited by the window for my ride. I'm not going to lie, I was hoping John would not show up so I could go back to bed. He showed up. I stepped out into the cold air and woke up a bit. We decided that it would be cool to work out together as a Bishopric. Adam works at USANA and was able to get us access to the facility there. So away the three of us went. We got to the gym, and Adam went about his workout while John and I started the Sparticus routine. It's a circuit style workout that includes lunges free weights etc. I really enjoyed lifting, and had amlost forgotten how great it feels.

After working out, I got home just as the kids were waking up. After Chloe finished her cereal, I decided to try something we have never done as a family in the mornings (I'm a terrible example)... Family prayer and scripture study. Now with young kids (6, 3, and 7 months) it's kind of hard to actually study the scriptures. So we read 1 Nephi 1:1. I didn't just read it, but we actually broke the verse down and I explained what it meant. The kids were great, and it was short enough to keep them interested. As I sat and thought about it, I realized that doing this little "study" with the kids will be very beneficial to me. I have had the feelings to get to know the scriptures better, and I know that by reading one verse, and explaining it so a 6 year old can understand it, will help me to better understand them. I just need to kick myself in the butt and get rolling on my personal study as well.

At any rate, it was a great way to start the day, and I hope it continues. I'm curious to know how all my friends handle family prayer and scripture study. If you feel so inclined, share your ideas and techniques.

No comments: